I am still in the middle of planning but I have finished Grade 3! Parks, the youngest kiddo, will begin third grade in September. The themes for third grade that I plan to cover include cooperation and confidence. Here are his goals (I make the initial goals and he will add more at the beginning of the year):
- Find a method for getting thoughts onto paper.
- Work independently for 30 minutes.
- Understand the concept of multiplication and division and apply to practical life.
- Find and utilize effective strategies to reduce anxiety and increase self confidence.
- Work in groups effectively.
- Investigate how the environment effects the choices made on shelter, food and clothing.
4 weeks Mr. Popper’s Penguins to focus on writing and dictation using Brave Writer.
4 weeks Shelters focusing on how we protect ourselves, different types of human shelters, animal shelters, and Native American shelters
4 weeks on Farmer Boy by Wilder focusing on writing nature studies and dialog using Brave Writer
3 weeks on Giving focusing o being selfless and giving.
4 weeks on creation stories
4 weeks on Where the Mountain Meets the Moon focusing on heroes and writing a journey using Brave Writer
4 weeks on building with a final building project
4 weeks on cooking to focus on practical math and writing commands (recipes)
2-3 weeks on farming with a focus on field trips and hands-on farming
In addition to the blocks, Parks will be working through Daily Math problems, Spell Well spelling, copy work and memory work. I also plan to have each child present something they are working on every week or every other week to our family or homeschool group (I am still working on this concept).