Oh my! 119 more days!
We are 61 days into the year. Only 119 days to go (give or take a few). I aim for 180 days of documented school days. I recently printed out my blog up through the beginning of October. One comment I received from Nick was on the update list. He likes seeing the items that each child has completed in a bullet point form. So for those business-like readers, below is for you (ok-mainly, this post is for my hubby so that he can have an update, neat and tidy).
Parks (Grade 1):
1. Grammar work and language: Fairytales and folktales including: Goldilocks and the Three Bears, The Ant and the Chrysalis, The Ant and the Grasshopper,Belling the Cat, The Milk Woman and her Pail, The Tale of Peter Rabbit, The Donkey and the Travelor, Once There was a Treee, The Rich Man and the Parrot, The Story of the Jumping Mouse, Zoomer’s Summer Snowsstorm, Hansel and Gretel and the Golden Goose.
2. Reading Program: Dancing Bears A: Section 1.
3. Writing: Spelling sight words, sentence structure, CVC words
4. Math: Number sense, writing numbers, greater than, less than, adding, subtracting, shapes, intro to adding double digits and carrying.
5. Extra research: Whales , birds, air, weather, clouds
Sawyer (Grade 3):
1. Waldorf/history/social studies: Intro to Judaism, The calendar, the Jewish Calendar, Days of Creation, Adam and Eve, Cain and Able, Israel, the Middle East, Sukkah, Shelters, Continents, Oceans,
2. Reading: Rebecca, An American Girl (Books 1-3 of 6)
3: Writing: The Write Foundations: Creating Sentences- Including alphabetical order, nouns, verbs, contractions, homonyms, proper nouns, compound subjects and verbs, and compound sentences. Poetry writing: alphabet poetry, concrete noun poetry, concrete verb poetry, animal motion poetry, personal favorites poetry.
4. Teaching Textbooks: Chapters 1-6 (Grade 3)
5. Extra: Bird research, Geocaching
6. Spelling: Apples and Pears Level B lessons 1-27
Sims (Grade 5):
1. Waldorf/history/social studies: US geography, African geography and general history and folklore, Atlantis, Australian geography and folklore, Aborigines, India, Hinduism, Buddhism, The Deer, the Turtle and the Magpie, Persia (Good versus Evil)
2. Reading: Tales from the Odyssey by Mary Pope Osborne (Books 1-3 of 6), and Dancing Bears Fast track
3.Writing: The Write Foundations: Creating Sentences- Including alphabetical order, nouns, verbs, contractions, homonyms, proper nouns, compound subjects and verbs, and compound sentences. Poetry writing: alphabet poetry, concrete noun poetry, concrete verb poetry, animal motion poetry, personal favorites poetry.
4. Teaching Textbooks: He started on TT grade 6 and did the first 2 chapters. He decided to step back and do grade 5 first so he is trying to work through grade 5. Chapters 1-4 completed
5. Outdoor Leadership class at Latta Plantation: weather, outdoor first aid, map and compass, shelter building
6. Spelling: Apples and Pears Level A Lessons 20-58 (10 lessons until he is onto the next level!)
Together, we read My Father’s Dragon, My Side of the Mountain, The Biltmore House Mystery, White Fang and we are in the middle of The Horse’s Boy. Overall, the year is passing quickly. I am teaching a lot more language than I ever have before. We are focusing a lot on reading, writing, and spelling this year. The kids are using Teaching Textbooks for most of their math. Sims and Sawyer are working with Parks on math as well using Waldorf and Montessori materials. Overall, the year is going well. We are in good rhythm with school work, playing and extra-curricular activities.